WHO CAN PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST?
The contest is open to all Malaysians between the age of 13 and 21, regardless of student status (ie: you can still enter if you are a Malaysian between 13 and 21 years old even if you are not a student). In other words, if you carry a Malaysian NRIC and are between 13 and 21 years old, you can enter the contest, regardless of your place of residence and student status.
CAN MALAYSIAN STUDENTS WHO ARE OVERSEAS PARTICIPATE?
Yes. However, schools, colleges and universities that are not physically based in Malaysia are NOT eligible to win the institution prizes. Top winners from overseas institutions can instead nominate a Malaysian educational establishment (school, college or university) to receive the institution prize.
CAN NON-MALAYSIANS PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST?
No. This contest is only open to Malaysians with valid NRIC.
HOW DO I ENTER?
- You can choose any of the categories (Essay / Fiction / Photo-Essay) to enter the contest. You can choose to send as many entries as you like and can enter more than one category to increase your chances of winning.
- We do ask that your entry be ORIGINAL (please don’t plagiarise!).
- For writing, each entry must be submitted via the official online contest submission form ( http://www.maybankperdanacontest.com/index.php/en/submit-your-entry ).
- Photo-essay submissions are via Instagram (opening an account is FREE; visit www.instagram.com). Use the hashtag #AYAContest2015 and tag @plfperdana. Remember, it’s a photo-essay which means a series of photos around the theme “ASEAN Youth in Action!” (3-5 photos for 13-17 year olds and 5-7 photos for 18-21 year olds) and not single photos!
- You can write in either Bahasa Malaysia or English (this goes for the photo captions as well).
- We encourage you to visit our website for more information and great advice on constructing your entries.
WHAT CAN I WIN?
Cash, Macbooks, iPads and more! We have more than RM200,000 in CASH and more than 300 prizes to award! Visit our website www.MaybankPerdanaContest.com for the full list of prizes!
CAN MY SCHOOL / COLLEGE / UNIVERSITY WIN PRIZES, TOO?
Yes, definitely! The institutions of the top winners of each category along with the institution that sends in the highest number of entries can win RM3,000 worth of books, RM500 in cash and will get special mentions in our upcoming publication. Institutions that send in more than 25 entries are also eligible to win MPH book vouchers and obtain special mentions! The full list of prizes is on our website, so do visit www.MaybankPerdanaContest.com.
IS THERE A LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF ENTRIES ?
No! To increase your chances of winning, we encourage you to send in more than one entry. You can send as many entries in as many categories as you would like.
CAN I WIN MORE THAN ONE PRIZE?
You can win only one prize per category. For instance, if you had submitted three Fiction entries, and all three of them placed for prizes, you will be awarded a prize for the entry that placed the highest.
There is nothing to prevent you from winning prizes from different categories, so it is possible for you to win more than one prize if you have winning entries for the contest's different categories, ie: Fiction, Non-Fiction and Photo-Essays.
HOW LONG SHOULD MY ENTRIES BE FOR THE ESSAY AND FICTION CATEGORIES?
If you are between 13 and 17 years old, your entries should be between 350 and 500 words. If you are between 18 and 21 years old, your entries should be between 750 and 1,000 words.
DO I NEED TO INCLUDE CITATIONS AND A BIBLIOGRAPHY?
No. However, we encourage our contestants to attribute their sources in footnotes or endnotes as far as possible. We are strongly against plagiarism, so if you use a quote, statistic or argument put forward by another person, please attribute accordingly. Citations, footnotes, endnotes and bibliographies will NOT be part of your word count.
CAN I E-MAIL YOU MY ENTRIES?
WHAT IS A PHOTO-ESSAY?
A photo-essay is simply a series of photos that tell a story or emphasize a theme. Your photo-essay can be sequential or have a uniform look, feel or style to carry your message across. To find out more about what a photo-essay is, we encourage you to read our article.
WHAT CAMERAS CAN I USE TO TAKE MY PHOTOS?
Any camera at all! You can use your camera phone, your DSLR, your Polaroid – the choice is entirely yours. All we ask is that you upload your photos to Instagram, hashtag #AYAContest2015 and tag @plfperdana. Also, tell us your age category and the order of your photo-series (c1s1 to denote you belong to age category 1 (13 to 17 years old) and it’s the first photo in your series; c1s2 for the second photo, and so on).
I DON’T HAVE AN INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT. CAN I JUST E-MAIL YOU MY PHOTOS?
Unfortunately, no. The contest is via Instagram and we would encourage you to open an account if you don’t already have one. Opening an Instagram account is FREE. All you need is a username and password, ensure your Instagram account is set to Public and you are all set. Visit Instagram to learn more.
MY INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT IS PRIVATE. DO I HAVE TO SET IT TO PUBLIC TO ENTER THE CONTEST?
Yes. The new Instagram rules will not allow us to view your photos even if you use the contest hashtag if your account is set to private. You have two alternatives:
- Set your account to “Public” for the duration of the contest
- (Recommended) Open a new Instagram account for the contest. It’s free and easy (but you know this already, right?).
CAN A GROUP WORK TOGETHER ON AN ENTRY?
No. Each entry must have only one author or photographer.
ARE THERE TIPS, ADVICE AND WORKSHOPS FOR CONTESTANTS?
We post articles to help you write and compose your photo-essays. The series of articles can be found on www.maybankperdanacontest.com. We are also organising workshops with our partner NST on writing and photo-journalism in a few states around Malaysia to help our contestants with their entries. Watch out for these invitations on our plf's facebook page, twitter (@plfperdana), instagram (@plfperdana) and on the contest website (www.maybankperdanacontest.com). Better yet, sign up for our mailing list and make sure you’ll never miss an invite!
WHAT IS THE CLOSING DATE FOR THE CONTEST?
The closing date is 16th September 2015 so compose your essay, weave your story and snap your photos today!
THE T AND C
- The information is correct at the time of printing. We reserve the right to amend the contest terms, duration, judges and prizes.
- One contestant is eligible to win only one main prize (1st to 10th) across all categories. Should a contestant be in the top ten for more than one category, that contestant will be awarded a prize according to his or her highest-achieved standing.
- One contestant can win more than one consolation prize across the three contest categories but only one consolation prize from within the same category. (For example, Ali can win a consolation prize for Essay and Photo-Essay, but will not be eligible to win multiple consolation prizes for different essays).
- If a contestant submits multiple entries for one category, he or she will be awarded the prize according to his or her highest-achieved standing within that category.
- We reserve the right to disqualify entries that are improperly submitted, are significantly less or more than the official word count, or have offensive language or content. Plagiarised entries will also be immediately disqualified.
- Our judges’ decision is final.